RE: st: How to draw axes in the interior of the plot?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: How to draw axes in the interior of the plot?
Date   Mon, 20 Sep 2010 12:05:57 +0100

I disagree partially with Roger.

The problem is clearly not with drawing axis lines wherever one wants, for which in this case -xli()- and -yli()- are to hand. The problem is that axis labels and ticks are associated with axis lines. I think Stata made a decision in principle way back that labels and ticks belong on the margins of a graph so that they _never_ interfere with data and I very much doubt that that is regarded as a problem to fix.

Be that as it may, the StataCorp position is presumably that you can emulate axis labels and ticks yourself, as shown for example by Scott, so that is what they would recommend for those determined to go ahead with axes cutting through the graph region.

Roger Newson
============

Thanks to Scott for this solution, which I have forwarded to my colleague.

It seems a bit surprising that Stata does not seem to be able routinely
to locate axes in the interior of a graph region, instead of at the
boundary of a graph region. After all, lots of people might want to plot
the complex plane with axes intersecting at (0,0i). However, StataCorp
may decide to fix this, when they have time to spare from the
innumerable other things they do for us. I might raise it at the Wishes
and Grumbles session of the 2011 UK Stata User Meeting, if they haven't
fixed it by then.

Scott Merryman
==============

> You can use yline() and xline() to recreate the axes and use
> -scatteri- for the tick marks and labels.
>
> For example (using Ben Jann's -center-):
>
> sysuse auto, clear
> center mpg price
> scatter c_p c_m ,yscale(off) xscale(off) legend(off) ylabel(,nogrid)
> graphregion(color(white))  ///
>    || scatteri 0 -10 "-10" 0 10 "10" 0 20 "20", mlabpos(6) ms(none)
> mlabcolor(black) ///
>    || scatteri 0 -10 "|" 0 10 "|" 0 20 "|" , mlabpos(0) msy(none)
> mlabcolor(black) ///
>    || scatteri -5000 0 "-5000" 5000 0 "5000" 10000 0 "10000",
> mlabpos(9) ms(none) mlabcolor(black) ///
>    || scatteri -5000 0 "`=char(151)'"  5000  0 "`=char(151)'" 10000 0
> "`=char(151)'",  mlabpos(0) ms(none) mlabcolor(black) ///
>     yline(0, lc(black)) xline(0, lc(black))

Roger Newson