RE: st: Interpretation of categorical independent variable

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   RE: st: Interpretation of categorical independent variable
Date   Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:54:19 +0200

<>

You want to read up on NJC`s
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-02/msg00840.html

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
[mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Ronan Conroy
Sent: Montag, 13. September 2010 12:52
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: st: Interpretation of categorical independent variable

On 10 MFómh 2010, at 09:23, Maarten buis wrote:

> When interpreting the odds ratios, I find it helpful to have
> the baseline odds. Unfortunately, Stata supresses this by
> default, but there is a trick you can use to get it displayed,
> which I learned from (Newson 2003).

Thank you to Martin for this very instructive example.

May I also suggest that many people find odds difficult to grasp. I am
fond of illustrating logistic regression models by calculating
predicted probabilities at key values of continuous variables. For
example, I have just finished a paper on worry which calculates
prevalences at ages 65, 75, 85 and 95 in different groups of interest
and displays them graphically.

Ronán Conroy
Associate Professor
Division of Population Health Sciences

rconroy@rcsi.ie
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
Epidemiology Department,
Beaux Lane House, Dublin 2, Ireland
+353 (0)1 402 2431
+353 (0)87 799 97 95
+353 (0)1 402 2764 (Fax - remember them?)
http://rcsi.academia.edu/RonanConroy

P    Before printing, think about the environment