Re: st: Interpretation of categorical independent variable

From   Ronan Conroy <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Interpretation of categorical independent variable
Date   Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:52:01 +0100

On 10 MFómh 2010, at 09:23, Maarten buis wrote:

When interpreting the odds ratios, I find it helpful to have
the baseline odds. Unfortunately, Stata supresses this by
default, but there is a trick you can use to get it displayed,
which I learned from (Newson 2003).

Thank you to Martin for this very instructive example.

May I also suggest that many people find odds difficult to grasp. I am fond of illustrating logistic regression models by calculating predicted probabilities at key values of continuous variables. For example, I have just finished a paper on worry which calculates prevalences at ages 65, 75, 85 and 95 in different groups of interest and displays them graphically.

Ronán Conroy
Associate Professor
Division of Population Health Sciences

[email protected]
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
Epidemiology Department,
Beaux Lane House, Dublin 2, Ireland
+353 (0)1 402 2431
+353 (0)87 799 97 95
+353 (0)1 402 2764 (Fax - remember them?)
http://rcsi.academia.edu/RonanConroy

P    Before printing, think about the environment