Bookmark and Share

Notice: On March 31, it was announced that Statalist is moving from an email list to a forum. The old list will shut down at the end of May, and its replacement, statalist.org is already up and running.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

st: RE: RE: RE: problem with commands


From   "Vassilopoulos Achilleas" <vassilopoulos.statalist@gmail.com>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: problem with commands
Date   Thu, 9 Sep 2010 20:35:14 +0300

Then all you have to do is to delete the part of the command "levels of
year_inc_sub, local(levels)"

And also replace this command :

foreach y of local levels {

with that one  : 

forvalues y= 1990/2005 {

Hope this helps,

_____________ - _______________

Achilleas Vassilopoulos

Agricultural University of Athens,
Dept. of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development,
Lab. of Political Economy and European Integration.
Iera Odos 75, 11855, Athens, Greece

Tel: (+30) 210-5294726
Fax: (+30) 210-5294786
Email : avassilopoulos.aua@gmail.com 


-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
[mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of ???s???a
G?a?????p?????
Sent: 09 September, 2010 18:26
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Cc: p.symeou@lmu.de
Subject: st: RE: RE: problem with commands

Dear Statalists,

unfortunately, there is a problem with the command you suggested me.

I have my data set save as "C:\Users\icehiwi\Desktop\DAT LIMITED\divers.dta"

So, I 'clear' and do the below commands:

cd "C:\Users\icehiwi\Desktop\DATATEC LIMITED\"
use divers.dta
gen firstsic_sub=int(sic_sub/100)
gen firstsic_moth=int(sic_mother/100)
gen twosic_sub=int(sic_sub/10)
gen twosic_moth=int(sic_mother/10)

capture erase new.dta
tempname new
postfile `new' str10 id_mother year double diver using new

levelsof year_inc_sub, local(levels)
foreach y of local levels {

count if (year_inc_sub<=`y') & (firstsic_moth!=firstsic_sub)
scalar digit=r(N)
count if year_inc_sub<=`y'
scalar total=r(N)
scalar a=scalar(digit)*3/scalar(total)
count if (year_inc_sub<=`y') & (firstsic_moth==firstsic_sub)
scalar digit2=r(N)
scalar b=scalar(digit2)*2/scalar(total)
count if (year_inc_sub<=`y') & (twosic_moth==twosic_sub)
scalar digit3=r(N)
scalar c=scalar(digit3)*1/scalar(total)
scalar all=scalar(a)+scalar(b)+scalar(c)

post `new' ("X") (`y') (scalar(all))
scalar drop all digit total
}

postclose `new'
use new, clear
sort year\

Finally, my results listed as:

id_mot~r   year          diver |
    |-------------------------|
 1. |        X   1985       3 |
 2. |        X   1990       3 |
 3. |        X   1992       3 |
 4. |        X   1999       3 |
 5. |        X   2000       3 |
    |-------------------------|
 6. |        X   2003       3 |
 7. |        X   2004       3 |
 8. |        X   2005       3 |
 9. |        X   2007       3 |
 10. |        X   2008       3

But, this is not exactly what I wanted. I would like the variable
'year' to be years from 1990-2005 in a sequence.

Any suggestion?

Thank you for consideration!

Chrysa




























On 7 September 2010 23:01, Vassilopoulos Achilleas
<vassilopoulos.statalist@gmail.com> wrote:
> And this can keep going on forever... any ideas why my posts seem not to
> like ENTER????
> I just saw that also my "corrected" post appeared the same way...
>
> Thanks,
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
> [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Vassilopoulos
> Achilleas
> Sent: 07 September, 2010 23:53
> To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
> Subject: st: RE: problem with commands
>
> Sorry, I've just found out that some lines in my previous post did not
> appeared separated so I thought I should repost.
>
> I think this is what you're looking for :
>
> cd "YOUR_DIRECTORY"
>
> gen firstsic_sub=int(sic_sub/100)
> gen firstsic_moth=int(sic_mother/100)
> gen twosic_sub=int(sic_sub/10)
> gen twosic_moth=int(sic_mother/10)
>
> capture erase new.dta
> tempname new
> postfile `new' str10 id_mother year double diver using new
>
> levelsof year_inc_sub, local(levels)
> foreach y of local levels {
>
> count if (year_inc_sub<=`y') & (firstsic_moth!=firstsic_sub)
> scalar digit=r(N)
> count if year_inc_sub<=`y'
> scalar total=r(N)
> scalar a=scalar(digit)*3/scalar(total)
> count if (year_inc_sub<=`y') & (firstsic_moth==firstsic_sub)
> scalar digit2=r(N)
> scalar b=scalar(digit2)*2/scalar(total)
> count if (year_inc_sub<=`y') & (twosic_moth==twosic_sub)
> scalar digit3=r(N)
> scalar c=scalar(digit3)*1/scalar(total)
> scalar all=scalar(a)+scalar(b)+scalar(c)
>
> post `new' ("X") (`y') (scalar(all))
> scalar drop all digit total
> }
>
> postclose `new'
> use new, clear
> sort year
>
>
> Hope this helps,
> _____________ - _______________
>
> Achilleas Vassilopoulos
>
> Agricultural University of Athens,
> Dept. of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development, Lab. of Political
> Economy and European Integration.
> Iera Odos 75, 11855, Athens, Greece
>
> Tel: (+30) 210-5294726
> Fax: (+30) 2105294786
> Email : avassilopoulos.aua@gmail.com
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
> [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of ???s???a
> G?a?????p?????
> Sent: 07 September, 2010 13:49
> To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
> Subject: st: problem with commands
>
> Dear Statalisters,
>
> I have a data set consisting of a number of companies which are all
> subsidiaries of the same company X. The following variables describe
> each of these companies and their mother company:
> 1) "id_mother", the identity of the mother company
> 2) "id_sub", the identity of the subsidiary company
> 3) "year_inc_sub", year of incorporation of the subsidiary
> 4) "SIC_mother", a 3-digit industry classification code for the mother
> 5) "SIC_sub", a 3-digit industry classification code for the subsidiary
>
> The dataset looks like this:
>
> id_mother     sic_mother     id_sub          sic_sub          
year_inc_sub
> X                  731               JP0JPN         738
> 1982
>
> X                  731               JP680JPN      737
> 2002
>
> X                  731               JP0JPN         899
> 2002
>
> X                  731               JP0JPN         355
> 1953
>
> X                  731              JPJPN            355
>      2001
>
> X                  731              JPN                502
>          1972
>
> X                  731             JPJPN              357
>           1960
>
>
> Based on this information I want to create a new dataset with a
> time-series structure, which will refer to the mother company "X" for
> the period 1990-2005. In the new dataset I want to have the following
> variables:
> 1) "id_mother", as above;
> 2) "year", the year of the observation;
> 3) "diversification", a new variable whose estimation I explain below.
>
> The diversification variable should be created under the following logic:
> For observation in year 1990 the value of diversification should be
> the sum of a, b, and c below:
>
> a) take the total number of subsidiary companies which were
> incorporated in 1990 or earlier whose 1st digit of sic_sub is
> different than the 1st digit of sic_mother and multiply them by 3;
> divide this number by the total number of companies which where
> incorporated in 1990 or earlier (in the example, the total number of
> companies existing in 1990 is 4)
> b) take the total number of subsidiary companies which were
> incorporated in 1990 or earlier for which only the 1st digit of their
> sic_sub is the same as the 1st digit of sic_mother and multiply them
> by 2; divide this number by the total number of companies which where
> incorporated in 1990 or earlier
> c) take the total number of subsidiary companies which were
> incorporated in 1990 or earlier, whose 1st and 2nd digits of sic_sub
> are the same as the 1st and 2nd digits of sic_mother but they differ
> in the 3rd digit, and multiply them by 1, divide this number by the
> total number of companies which where incorporated in 1990 or earlier
>
> The same logic should apply for the observations for years 1991-2005
>
> The expected dataset should look like this:
>
> id_mother    year      diversification
> X                1990      a+b+c when subsidiaries incorporated
> earlier than or equal to 1990
> X                1991      a+b+c when subsidiaries incorporated
> earlier than or equal to 1991
> X                1992     a+b+c when subsidiaries incorporated earlier
> than or equal to 1992
> X
>
............................................................................
> ................................
> X                2005     a+b+c when subsidiaries incorporated earlier
> than or equal to 2005
> - Hide quoted text -
>
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Chrysa
>
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>
>
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>
>
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>

*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/


*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/


© Copyright 1996–2014 StataCorp LP   |   Terms of use   |   Privacy   |   Contact us   |   Site index