Bookmark and Share

Notice: On March 31, it was announced that Statalist is moving from an email list to a forum. The old list will shut down on April 23, and its replacement, statalist.org is already up and running.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: st: RE: RE: RE: problem with commands


From   Χρυσούλα Γιαννικοπούλου <chrygiann@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: RE: problem with commands
Date   Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:44:24 +0200

Dear Statalisters,

Based on my previous e.mails, I would like to thank you for the help.
I let you know that finally, I have the variable 'year'  years from
1990-2005 in a sequence.

Unfortunately, another problem which still remains has to do with the
estimation of diversification variable.

The diversification variable should be created under the following logic:
For observation in year 1990 the value of diversification should be
the sum of a, b, and c below:

a) take the total number of subsidiary companies which were
incorporated in 1990 or earlier whose 1st digit of sic_sub is
different than the 1st digit of sic_mother and multiply them by 3;
divide this number by the total number of companies which where
incorporated in 1990 or earlier (in the example, the total number of
companies existing in 1990 is 4)

b) take the total number of subsidiary companies which were
incorporated in 1990 or earlier for which only the 1st digit of their
sic_sub is the same as the 1st digit of sic_mother and multiply them
by 2; divide this number by the total number of companies which where
incorporated in 1990 or earlier

c) take the total number of subsidiary companies which were
incorporated in 1990 or earlier, whose 1st and 2nd digits of sic_sub
are the same as the 1st and 2nd digits of sic_mother but they differ
in the 3rd digit, and multiply them by 1, divide this number by the
total number of companies which where incorporated in 1990 or earlier

As you see below,  my results look like:

 +-------------------------+
    | id_mot~r   year   diver |
    |-------------------------|
 1. |        X   1990       3 |
 2. |        X   1991       3 |
 3. |        X   1992       3 |
 4. |        X   1993       3 |
 5. |        X   1994       3 |
    |-------------------------|
 6. |        X    1995        3 |
 7. |        X   1996         3 |
 8. |        X    1997        3 |
 9. |        X   1998        3 |
10. |        X   1999       3 |
  . .....
        |-------------------------|
11.. |        X   2005       3 |
    +-------------------------+


The diversification variable has always the value '3'. This is not true, indeed.
I suppose that there is an error in this part of the command which you
suggested me:

**********************
scalar a=scalar(digit)*3/scalar(total)
count if (year_inc_sub<=`y') & (firstsic_moth==firstsic_sub)
scalar digit2=r(N)
scalar b=scalar(digit2)*2/scalar(total)
count if (year_inc_sub<=`y') & (twosic_moth==twosic_sub)
scalar digit3=r(N)
scalar c=scalar(digit3)*1/scalar(total)

***********************

Especially, I feel that something is wrong in the part "scalar
c=scalar(digit3)*1/scalar(total)" but I cant correct it.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much ,again, for consideration!

Chrysa





On 9 September 2010 19:35, Vassilopoulos Achilleas
<vassilopoulos.statalist@gmail.com> wrote:
> Then all you have to do is to delete the part of the command "levels of
> year_inc_sub, local(levels)"
>
> And also replace this command :
>
> foreach y of local levels {
>
> with that one  :
>
> forvalues y= 1990/2005 {
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> _____________ - _______________
>
> Achilleas Vassilopoulos
>
> Agricultural University of Athens,
> Dept. of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development,
> Lab. of Political Economy and European Integration.
> Iera Odos 75, 11855, Athens, Greece
>
> Tel: (+30) 210-5294726
> Fax: (+30) 210-5294786
> Email : avassilopoulos.aua@gmail.com
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
> [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of ???s???a
> G?a?????p?????
> Sent: 09 September, 2010 18:26
> To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
> Cc: p.symeou@lmu.de
> Subject: st: RE: RE: problem with commands
>
> Dear Statalists,
>
> unfortunately, there is a problem with the command you suggested me.
>
> I have my data set save as "C:\Users\icehiwi\Desktop\DAT LIMITED\divers.dta"
>
> So, I 'clear' and do the below commands:
>
> cd "C:\Users\icehiwi\Desktop\DATATEC LIMITED\"
> use divers.dta
> gen firstsic_sub=int(sic_sub/100)
> gen firstsic_moth=int(sic_mother/100)
> gen twosic_sub=int(sic_sub/10)
> gen twosic_moth=int(sic_mother/10)
>
> capture erase new.dta
> tempname new
> postfile `new' str10 id_mother year double diver using new
>
> levelsof year_inc_sub, local(levels)
> foreach y of local levels {
>
> count if (year_inc_sub<=`y') & (firstsic_moth!=firstsic_sub)
> scalar digit=r(N)
> count if year_inc_sub<=`y'
> scalar total=r(N)
> scalar a=scalar(digit)*3/scalar(total)
> count if (year_inc_sub<=`y') & (firstsic_moth==firstsic_sub)
> scalar digit2=r(N)
> scalar b=scalar(digit2)*2/scalar(total)
> count if (year_inc_sub<=`y') & (twosic_moth==twosic_sub)
> scalar digit3=r(N)
> scalar c=scalar(digit3)*1/scalar(total)
> scalar all=scalar(a)+scalar(b)+scalar(c)
>
> post `new' ("X") (`y') (scalar(all))
> scalar drop all digit total
> }
>
> postclose `new'
> use new, clear
> sort year\
>
> Finally, my results listed as:
>
> id_mot~r   year          diver |
>     |-------------------------|
>  1. |        X   1985       3 |
>  2. |        X   1990       3 |
>  3. |        X   1992       3 |
>  4. |        X   1999       3 |
>  5. |        X   2000       3 |
>     |-------------------------|
>  6. |        X   2003       3 |
>  7. |        X   2004       3 |
>  8. |        X   2005       3 |
>  9. |        X   2007       3 |
>  10. |        X   2008       3
>
> But, this is not exactly what I wanted. I would like the variable
> 'year' to be years from 1990-2005 in a sequence.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Thank you for consideration!
>
> Chrysa
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On 7 September 2010 23:01, Vassilopoulos Achilleas
> <vassilopoulos.statalist@gmail.com> wrote:
>> And this can keep going on forever... any ideas why my posts seem not to
>> like ENTER????
>> I just saw that also my "corrected" post appeared the same way...
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
>> [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Vassilopoulos
>> Achilleas
>> Sent: 07 September, 2010 23:53
>> To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
>> Subject: st: RE: problem with commands
>>
>> Sorry, I've just found out that some lines in my previous post did not
>> appeared separated so I thought I should repost.
>>
>> I think this is what you're looking for :
>>
>> cd "YOUR_DIRECTORY"
>>
>> gen firstsic_sub=int(sic_sub/100)
>> gen firstsic_moth=int(sic_mother/100)
>> gen twosic_sub=int(sic_sub/10)
>> gen twosic_moth=int(sic_mother/10)
>>
>> capture erase new.dta
>> tempname new
>> postfile `new' str10 id_mother year double diver using new
>>
>> levelsof year_inc_sub, local(levels)
>> foreach y of local levels {
>>
>> count if (year_inc_sub<=`y') & (firstsic_moth!=firstsic_sub)
>> scalar digit=r(N)
>> count if year_inc_sub<=`y'
>> scalar total=r(N)
>> scalar a=scalar(digit)*3/scalar(total)
>> count if (year_inc_sub<=`y') & (firstsic_moth==firstsic_sub)
>> scalar digit2=r(N)
>> scalar b=scalar(digit2)*2/scalar(total)
>> count if (year_inc_sub<=`y') & (twosic_moth==twosic_sub)
>> scalar digit3=r(N)
>> scalar c=scalar(digit3)*1/scalar(total)
>> scalar all=scalar(a)+scalar(b)+scalar(c)
>>
>> post `new' ("X") (`y') (scalar(all))
>> scalar drop all digit total
>> }
>>
>> postclose `new'
>> use new, clear
>> sort year
>>
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> _____________ - _______________
>>
>> Achilleas Vassilopoulos
>>
>> Agricultural University of Athens,
>> Dept. of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development, Lab. of Political
>> Economy and European Integration.
>> Iera Odos 75, 11855, Athens, Greece
>>
>> Tel: (+30) 210-5294726
>> Fax: (+30) 2105294786
>> Email : avassilopoulos.aua@gmail.com
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
>> [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of ???s???a
>> G?a?????p?????
>> Sent: 07 September, 2010 13:49
>> To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
>> Subject: st: problem with commands
>>
>> Dear Statalisters,
>>
>> I have a data set consisting of a number of companies which are all
>> subsidiaries of the same company X. The following variables describe
>> each of these companies and their mother company:
>> 1) "id_mother", the identity of the mother company
>> 2) "id_sub", the identity of the subsidiary company
>> 3) "year_inc_sub", year of incorporation of the subsidiary
>> 4) "SIC_mother", a 3-digit industry classification code for the mother
>> 5) "SIC_sub", a 3-digit industry classification code for the subsidiary
>>
>> The dataset looks like this:
>>
>> id_mother     sic_mother     id_sub          sic_sub
> year_inc_sub
>> X                  731               JP0JPN         738
>> 1982
>>
>> X                  731               JP680JPN      737
>> 2002
>>
>> X                  731               JP0JPN         899
>> 2002
>>
>> X                  731               JP0JPN         355
>> 1953
>>
>> X                  731              JPJPN            355
>>      2001
>>
>> X                  731              JPN                502
>>          1972
>>
>> X                  731             JPJPN              357
>>           1960
>>
>>
>> Based on this information I want to create a new dataset with a
>> time-series structure, which will refer to the mother company "X" for
>> the period 1990-2005. In the new dataset I want to have the following
>> variables:
>> 1) "id_mother", as above;
>> 2) "year", the year of the observation;
>> 3) "diversification", a new variable whose estimation I explain below.
>>
>> The diversification variable should be created under the following logic:
>> For observation in year 1990 the value of diversification should be
>> the sum of a, b, and c below:
>>
>> a) take the total number of subsidiary companies which were
>> incorporated in 1990 or earlier whose 1st digit of sic_sub is
>> different than the 1st digit of sic_mother and multiply them by 3;
>> divide this number by the total number of companies which where
>> incorporated in 1990 or earlier (in the example, the total number of
>> companies existing in 1990 is 4)
>> b) take the total number of subsidiary companies which were
>> incorporated in 1990 or earlier for which only the 1st digit of their
>> sic_sub is the same as the 1st digit of sic_mother and multiply them
>> by 2; divide this number by the total number of companies which where
>> incorporated in 1990 or earlier
>> c) take the total number of subsidiary companies which were
>> incorporated in 1990 or earlier, whose 1st and 2nd digits of sic_sub
>> are the same as the 1st and 2nd digits of sic_mother but they differ
>> in the 3rd digit, and multiply them by 1, divide this number by the
>> total number of companies which where incorporated in 1990 or earlier
>>
>> The same logic should apply for the observations for years 1991-2005
>>
>> The expected dataset should look like this:
>>
>> id_mother    year      diversification
>> X                1990      a+b+c when subsidiaries incorporated
>> earlier than or equal to 1990
>> X                1991      a+b+c when subsidiaries incorporated
>> earlier than or equal to 1991
>> X                1992     a+b+c when subsidiaries incorporated earlier
>> than or equal to 1992
>> X
>>
> ............................................................................
>> ................................
>> X                2005     a+b+c when subsidiaries incorporated earlier
>> than or equal to 2005
>> - Hide quoted text -
>>
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>> Chrysa
>>
>> *
>> *   For searches and help try:
>> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
>> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>>
>>
>> *
>> *   For searches and help try:
>> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
>> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>>
>>
>> *
>> *   For searches and help try:
>> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
>> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>>
>
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>
>
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>

*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/


© Copyright 1996–2014 StataCorp LP   |   Terms of use   |   Privacy   |   Contact us   |   Site index