st: RE: merging observations in one dataset

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   st: RE: merging observations in one dataset
Date   Tue, 31 Aug 2010 20:22:45 +0100

Merge, aggregate, sum: You are sending conflicting signals. I suggest a worked example showing exactly what you want, before and after. It can be hypothetical; all that is needful is that it be clear.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

David Kehrl

I am working with a panel data set containing quarterly data on
balance sheet items for all american banks. I am trying to aggregate
the bank level data for banks with common ownership . I have a string
variable indicating the highest holding company level. my question is
how is it possible to sum those banks with common ownership.