st: merging observations in one dataset

From   David Kehrl <>
To   statalist <>
Subject   st: merging observations in one dataset
Date   Tue, 31 Aug 2010 21:16:11 +0200

I am working with a panel data set containing quarterly data on
balance sheet items for all american banks. I am trying to aggregate
the bank level data for banks with common ownership . I have a string
variable indicating the highest holding company level. my question is
how is it possible to sum those banks with common ownership.
Any ideas?
Thanks for your help.