st: RE: RE: Saving different parts of a dataset using foreach

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Saving different parts of a dataset using foreach
Date   Tue, 31 Aug 2010 10:29:21 +0100

In other words, only certain keywords may appear after -of-. The relevant syntax is

                commands referring to `lname'

-- and the only allowed -listtype-s are

local global  varlist  newlist  numlist

Martin Weiss

Look at the -foreach- syntax diagram, or read up on it in NJC`s Even better:

forv year = 2002/2008{
di `year'

Matthew Krauchunas

I am working with panel data and I need to separate the data by year,
run some commands, and then append it.  The BY command will not work
with this particular command so that is not an option.  I have tried
the following commands and it keeps telling me invalid syntax.  Does
anyone see an error here or have a suggestion(s)?

use "G:\Merged_Joined_Appended
sort year
cd g:\Years
  foreach i of year 2002/2008 {