st: Saving different parts of a dataset using foreach

From   Matthew Krauchunas <krauchunasms@mymail.vcu.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Saving different parts of a dataset using foreach
Date   Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:34:44 -0400

Hello,

I am working with panel data and I need to separate the data by year,
run some commands, and then append it.  The BY command will not work
with this particular command so that is not an option.  I have tried
the following commands and it keeps telling me invalid syntax.  Does
anyone see an error here or have a suggestion(s)?

Thanks,
Matt

use "G:\Merged_Joined_Appended
files\final_oshpd_oscar_merge_w_dp_first_set_variables"
sort year
cd g:\Years
preserve
  foreach i of year 2002/2008 {