st: Mixed negative binomial models?

From   Troy Payne <>
Subject   st: Mixed negative binomial models?
Date   Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:24:34 -0800

I've been through Rabe-Hesketh and Skrondal's (2008) book on
multilevel modeling a few times and haven't seen a way to estimate
mixed negative binomial models.  Can Stata run mixed negative binomial
models?  I'm looking for something like xtmixed but for overdispersed
count (Poisson) distributions.  Did I miss a way to do this in the
myriad of options for gllamm?

If there's not a method to estimate mixed negative binomial models in
Stata, does anyone know offhand if other packages (e.g., HLM) can
estimate these models?

Troy Payne