Re: st: How to tackle the r1400 error message

Subject   Re: st: How to tackle the r1400 error message
Date   Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:53:10 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 26/8/10, Nicola Man wrote:
> I am running into problems with numerical overflow
> according to the r(1400) error message, but really
> wanted to fit the multi-level model I am fitting.
> It was working fine with the model fitting only
> random effects and intercept.

I would try rescaling your variables. So that the
value 1 has a reasonable unit. Say your model includes
the gross domestic product of countries, then you do
not want to add that in dollars but in billions
of dollars. So in that case you create a new
variable by typing:
gen gdp_b = gdp / 10e9

and use gdp_b instead of gdp.

Hope this helps,