st: How to tackle the r1400 error message

From   Nicola Man <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: How to tackle the r1400 error message
Date   Thu, 26 Aug 2010 19:38:05 +1000

Hi,

I am running into problems with numerical overflow according to the
r(1400) error message, but really wanted to fit the multi-level model
I am fitting.  It was working fine with the model fitting only random
effects and intercept.

When I added a few other fixed effects, it still managed to chuck out
something (though not very sensible) when I ran xtmelogit with
intpoints(1).  I then tried subsequently to fit with higher number of
integration points.  This is when I start getting "initial values not
feasible" with r(1400).

I have STATA IC, and wonder if having SE or MP would help (though my
impression from the list archive search tells me possibly not).

If this does not work in STATA, then would anyone on this list know if
SAS would?

Help and advice appreciated!

Regards,
Nicola