Re: st: How to tackle the r1400 error message

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: How to tackle the r1400 error message
Date   Thu, 26 Aug 2010 11:59:14 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 26/8/10, Maarten buis wrote:
> I would try rescaling your variables. So that the
> value 1 has a reasonable unit. Say your model includes
> the gross domestic product of countries, then you do
> not want to add that in dollars but in billions
> of dollars. So in that case you create a new
> variable by typing:
> gen gdp_b = gdp / 10e9
> and use gdp_b instead of gdp.

In addition I would rescale all variables such that the
value 0 happens withing or near the range of the data.
Say you have a variable year in there ranging from
1910-1990, than --- combining the above advise with this
advise --- I would probably look at changes per decade
rather than year and I would make sure that the new
variable is 0 in 1910 by typing:

gen year_c = (year - 1910)/10

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis