RE: st: Op. sys. refuses to provide memory - a cautionary tale

From   "Craig, Benjamin M." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Op. sys. refuses to provide memory - a cautionary tale
Date   Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:28:30 -0400

Thanks Nick, I have learned that to truly take advantage of the latest
version of Stata, 64-bits and 4 or more cores is required. To be a bit
more specific, lets assume I am using 6-core Stata MP on Windows 7
Professional, 64-bit for computationally intensive simulation analyses.

Does any listserv member think that I should go from 6 to 12 cores?

 Six Core Processor,X5680,3.33GHz,12M,6.4GT/s
 Dual Six Core Processor,X5680,3.33GHz,12M,6.4GT/s

Is it worthwhile to upgrade from RAM and Hard drive? For example,

 12GB DDR3 ECC SDRAM Memory,1333MHz,6X2GB

 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s,7200 RPM HardDrive with 32MB DataBurst Cache

The purpose is real world speed, so has anyone actually noticed if going
up to 24GB RAM, solid state drive expedited your jobs? In theory, it
should, but I am hoping that someone has purchase a computer recently to
test this hypothesis.

Cheers,
Ben

Benjamin M. Craig, PhD

Assistant Member, Health Outcomes & Behavior, Moffitt Cancer Center

Associate Professor, Economics, University of South Florida

12902 Magnolia Dr, MRC-CANCONT, Tampa, FL 33612-9416

Phone (813) 745-6710; Fax (813) 745-6525