RE: st: Op. sys. refuses to provide memory - a cautionary tale

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Op. sys. refuses to provide memory - a cautionary tale
Date   Fri, 20 Aug 2010 10:00:09 +0100

I think this partially answers itself in that I don't think that it can fairly be expected that a company website is a proper place for a company, in this case StataCorp, to offer opinions about anything that is currently controversial.

That said, Benjamin's question is obviously practical and a fair one for members of this list to venture opinions and comment from experience. In addition, presumably people other than econometricians are not excluded.

Craig, Benjamin M.

To clarify, the website answers essential questions (which systems are supported?) and provides some advice and education. I need to know more details on current controversies relating to multiple core, 64-bit and drive speeds in the real world. In this sense, it is a bit incomplete to say that more core, more bits, and faster drives are preferable. As was previously post, I had thought that a 32-bit dual core desktop was good enough for my needs, and was woefully wrong. Others seem to follow...

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-07/msg01337.html

If a listserv member has tried STATA MP on multiple machines, I would like to know what worked best so that I can buy one. There is an obvious caveat: speed depends on the task. However, I would counter that some data are better than none. For example, I recently bootstrapped a ML with 1000 iteration and inequality constraints. It took 4 weeks. Do you think your machine can do better? Personally, I do not use stata for database management, and doubt that many econometricians do. If someone has a good analytics machine, and he/she thinks that it works well, I'd like to know its components. Maybe a consensus will emerge. Maybe not.

Martin Weiss

In which respect is the Stata website "incomplete"? There is advice at http://www.stata.com/products/opsysmp.html, and how is the website supposed to give more detailed advice? It does not know your specific setup, hence the reluctance to go into greater depth...

Craig, Benjamin M.

Okay, I give up... I need a new machine. Due to institutional policies, I need to buy a Dell. Otherwise, I would very much like any advice on this purchase. My best guess is a 64-bit 8-core desktop for a 6-core version of Stata MP. I don't need a rocket, just a racecar.

If you have any specifications that you would like to share with me, please send them directly or post them on the listserv for others looking to upgrade. I have read the Stata website, which seems incomplete.