RE: st: Op. sys. refuses to provide memory - a cautionary tale

From   "Craig, Benjamin M." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Op. sys. refuses to provide memory - a cautionary tale
Date   Thu, 19 Aug 2010 15:48:21 -0400

To clarify, the website answers essential questions (which systems are supported?) and provides some advice and education. I need to know more details on current controversies relating to multiple core, 64-bit and drive speeds in the real world. In this sense, it is a bit incomplete to say that more core, more bits, and faster drives are preferable. As was previously post, I had thought that a 32-bit dual core desktop was good enough for my needs, and was woefully wrong. Others seem to follow...

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-07/msg01337.html

If a listserv member has tried STATA MP on multiple machines, I would like to know what worked best so that I can buy one. There is an obvious caveat: speed depends on the task. However, I would counter that some data are better than none. For example, I recently bootstrapped a ML with 1000 iteration and inequality constraints. It took 4 weeks. Do you think your machine can do better? Personally, I do not use stata for database management, and doubt that many econometricians do. If someone has a good analytics machine, and he/she thinks that it works well, I'd like to know its components. Maybe a consensus will emerge. Maybe not.

Ben

Benjamin M. Craig, PhD

Assistant Member, Health Outcomes & Behavior, Moffitt Cancer Center

Associate Professor, Economics, University of South Florida

12902 Magnolia Dr, MRC-CANCONT, Tampa, FL 33612-9416

Phone (813) 745-6710; Fax (813) 745-6525