st: Number of a subset of variables in local

From   "Trelle Sven" <strelle@ctu.unibe.ch>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: Number of a subset of variables in local
Date   Thu, 19 Aug 2010 15:04:06 +0200

Dear all,
I have a dataset with several variables all starting with the same name
plus sequential numbers at the end (e.g. name1, name2, name3, ...). In
addition, there are several other variables. I want to put the number of
variables starting with "name" in a local. Originally I thought I can
use

describe name*

But apparently, the describe command puts the number of variables of the
whole dataset in r(k) and not just the number of variables specificied
after the command.

This is my workaround:

* example starts
 use datatset.dta, clear
 keep name*
 qui describe
 local n = r(k)
 use datatset.dta, clear
* Example ends

Does anybody know whether there is a more elegant way i.e. can I avoid

Thanks for your help
Sven