st: sampling using matching variables

From   Debs Majumdar <>
Subject   st: sampling using matching variables
Date   Mon, 16 Aug 2010 20:27:43 -0700 (PDT)

  I have a dataset of around 1000 people where 750 are whites and 250 are
non-whites. I have variables for age (35-75), education (0-20) and gender (0 or
1). Also in the dataset I have item responses to 10 questions for each of these
1000 people.

  I would like to create dataset(s) where one white is matched with a non-white
person in terms of age only, age and education, and age,education and gender.

Initially, I tried matching on age only. But then for some cases I end up with 3

whites and 1 non-white for the same age category. At that time I would like to
drop any 2 of those 2 at random in the new dataset so that the matching is
always 1-1. How do I do that?

I have tried using cem, vmatch etc. but didn't get what I want.