Re: st: RE: From: [email protected]

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   "<[email protected]>" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: From: [email protected]
Date   Fri, 13 Aug 2010 20:43:27 +0000

<>

On Aug 13, 2010, at 3:16 PM, Martin Weiss wrote:

> But the missings are back once the -merge-r is done.

> Let`s summarize: We can twist it and bend it as much as we like, there are
> no "empty cells" in Stata...

Right.  From David's statement "without disturbing the other variables in the dataset"  I got the impression that he wanted to do what Excel does when you right click on some cells and choose to "Delete..">"Shift Cells Up".  Sorting moves all the rows together while extracting "x", removing/dropping the missing cells, and remerging does what I think David is asking for.

On Aug 13, 2010, at 3:24 PM, Maarten buis wrote:
> It is absolutely crucial that the values that
> belong to the same observations (i.e. a row in your
> dataset) always stay together. You can move entire
> rows up or down, or you can move columns left or right,
> but you must never move individual cells up or down
> or left or right. If that happens your entire dataset
> has instantly become completely worthless.

This is a good warning and is certainly true in (almost) all cases, but I assumed that David knows why he wants to move the data up the column and its effect on the data integrity.
BTW, I have had situations where values in one or more columns are shifted down by a couple of rows, and I have to shift them up so that they are properly aligned (e.g., data that was extracted from a PDF or HTML page where the row spacing is interpreted by Acrobat or some other program).

~ Eric

__
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute