st: From: [email protected]

From   [email protected]
To   "Stata List" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: From: [email protected]
Date   Fri, 13 Aug 2010 20:47:57 +0100

Dear all,

I wish to delete "cells" (not observations, aka rows) that have missing
values for variable x only within x. Hence,

"drop if x==."

would not work because it will delete the observations across all
variables, to explain graphically, I want something that looks like this:

variable x
0.998
.
.
.
0.658
.
7.801
.

to become:
0.998
0.658
7.801

without disturbing the other variables in the dataset. Manually
manipulating in Excel is not an option because this is done half way
through a do file and must be done by written commands. Stata is very easy
to use to drop variables and observations, but can it delete specific
"cells"?

Can anyone help here?

Any advice much appreciated,
David