Re: st: Re: Your paper on Stata,SAS and SPSS

To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu, statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Re: Your paper on Stata,SAS and SPSS
Date   Tue, 10 Aug 2010 22:39:01 -0400

At 08:41 PM 8/10/2010, Alan Acock wrote:
Michael mentioned the price difference and it is really dramatic. When you buy (not lease) Stata you get everything. The price is not an annual fee.

Many people still use SPSS and I hope IBM invests enough to make it a more competitive product for social science researchers. I'm concerned that their primary interest may be in the predictive analytics applications for marketing researchers, but I hope this is a mistaken concern.

My anecdotal impression is that the "Statistical Package for the Social Sciences" is being abandoned by the Social Sciences. Cost being one reason, and the superiority of other packages being another. Do others get that impression? If I'm correct, I hope Stata is able to capitalize on the defections.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam