Re: st: Re: Your paper on Stata,SAS and SPSS

From   "John F Hall" <johnfhall@orange.fr>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   Re: st: Re: Your paper on Stata,SAS and SPSS
Date   Wed, 11 Aug 2010 09:35:53 +0200

Richard

I think it's the other way round: IBM/SPSS has gradually abandoned (or rather priced out) the Social Sciences (at least for students and universities). I organised the international conference at LSE in 1974 when the SPSS user-community provided their specifications for a new version. During the eventual release (at the Heathrow Novotel) it was clear they were going after marketing and the corporate market.

Luckily for me, I'm on their academic author program (intended for authors of SPSS text-books, but they seem happy to ccept the tutorials on my website as an alternative). Being retired on a fractional pension, there's no way I could afford even the basic student versions. If they pull the plug, I'm looking at serious "cold turkey".

John Hall
http://surveyresearch.weebly.com

----- Original Message ----- From: Richard Williams
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu ; statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:39 AM
Subject: Re: st: Re: Your paper on Stata,SAS and SPSS

At 08:41 PM 8/10/2010, Alan Acock wrote:
Michael mentioned the price difference and it is really dramatic. When you buy (not lease) Stata you get everything. The price is not an annual fee.

Many people still use SPSS and I hope IBM invests enough to make it a more competitive product for social science researchers. I'm concerned that their primary interest may be in the predictive analytics applications for marketing researchers, but I hope this is a mistaken concern.

My anecdotal impression is that the "Statistical Package for the
Social Sciences" is being abandoned by the Social Sciences.  Cost
being one reason, and the superiority of other packages being
another. Do others get that impression? If I'm correct, I hope Stata
is able to capitalize on the defections.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam