Re: st: Re: Your paper on Stata,SAS and SPSS

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: Re: Your paper on Stata,SAS and SPSS
Date   Tue, 10 Aug 2010 22:28:55 -0400

At 11:43 AM 8/10/2010, Alan Acock wrote:
John Hall indicates that with the limited math/statistics background of his students, the "syntax examples I have seen in Stata, . . . would easily put (them) off." I'm not sure what examples John has seen. Often those shared on statalist are technical and not appropriate to beginning students. If you think about a basic

FYI, these two handouts show regression syntax in SPSS and in Stata:

Other examples of using Stata for basic tasks can be found at

My handouts often include corresponding SPSS examples (mostly because they were first written with SPSS only) -- but my students are getting after me to drop the SPSS stuff! I think it is good to be "bilingual" but if I am going to do SPSS at all perhaps I should devote more time to it. At least in my department, SPSS seems to be on the way out though -- I don't see many people using it, especially among younger faculty.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu