st: Beginner's question to STATA regression/extrapolation

From   Kevin Lee <klee22090@gmail.com>
Subject   st: Beginner's question to STATA regression/extrapolation
Date   Wed, 4 Aug 2010 10:55:32 +0900

Hello all,

I hate to be wordy and keep you for long for such an elementary STATA
question so I'll explain my situation simply.  I thank you in advance for
being understanding of my limited knowledge with the program and statistics
in general.

I have been trying to create a multiple regression on oil prices using
variables I felt have high causal relation to WTI crude oil prices.  I've
obtained weekly data from oil prices since 2005 as well as data from
variables such as the Baltic Dry Index, Clean Energy data, etc. etc. in the
same time frame.  Now I use the regress command to regress these variables
on WTI.  What I want to do from here is use this regression and extrapolate
potential future trends of WTI crude oil.  What commands or how should I go
about doing this?  Please be specific as my knowledge of STATA's
capabilities and commands are very basic.

I realize this will result in a fairly inaccurate forecasting, however, I
wish to produce a forecasted number with atleast some statistical support.
Additionally, if there is any other method to go about such oil price
forecasting that you may think of, I am all ears and would be most
grateful.  I sincerely thank you for your help.