Re: st: mac & windows difference

From   Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: mac & windows difference
Date   Tue, 3 Aug 2010 14:40:14 -0500

On Aug 3, 2010, at 2:12 PM, Airey, David C wrote:
When choosing variables from drop down menus in dialog boxes, you can only choose one variable at a time on the mac. I usually don't use dialogs. In Windows Stata, it seems the variable drop down stays open until you click outside the drop down. On the mac, the moment you click a variable the drop down disappears, requiring you to open it again if you want to click another variable. Can the mac behavior be made to work like that in Windows? The mac behavior stinks by comparison. I noticed this after watching one of Michael Mitchell's Stata screen casts.

I don't know the answer to the question you are asking. Note, however, that when you have a dialog box open and a variable names field has focus, you can click on variables in the variables window (i.e., Window -> Variables or cmd-6) and they will be added to the field, space delimited. This is a way of mimicking the functionality you are asking about, with the advantage that you have additional information about the variable (e.g., label and type) also available while making your selection(s).

-- Phil