AW: st: Spss vs Stata

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   AW: st: Spss vs Stata
Date   Mon, 2 Aug 2010 10:52:35 +0200

To echo Maarten`s sentiment, I just finished my PhD as well, and have never
wanted to stray from Stata to do beautiful graphs. Then again, I did not
need 3D graphs...

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von Maarten buis
Gesendet: Montag, 2. August 2010 10:50
Betreff: Re: st: Spss vs Stata

--- On Mon, 2/8/10, E. Paul Wileyto wrote:
> My two cents.  Graphics is the
> only bad aspect of Stata, but SPSS is almost as rudimentary
> in graphics.  If you want publication quality graphics
> quickly, the only package to consider is SigmaPlot.

This surprises me. I just finished my dissertation, and did
almost all my graphs in Stata. I considered it flexible and
able to produce every graph I wanted in a reproducable way.
I guess I got used to the way Stata works, and thus I am
less likely to see disadvantages. Can you elobarate on what
can be done with SigmaPlot that can't be done in Stata (or
is harder in Stata)?

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie