Re: st: Multiple imputation is increasing the sample size

From (Wesley D. Eddings, StataCorp)
Subject   Re: st: Multiple imputation is increasing the sample size
Date   Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:13:00 -0500

Hassan Chawdhury <> noticed that -mi impute mvn- added
observations to his data:

> But a weird thing happened with the mi procedure. When I run any tabulate or
> summarize command after the imputation, I can see that it has added cases to
> my sample size.

What Hassan has noticed is the intended behavior of -mi impute-.  When we use
either the mlong -mi- style or the flong style, -mi impute- will store the
imputations in memory as new observations.  (Hassan may use the -mi describe-
command to display his -mi- style.)

The -mi estimate- command does not support -tabulate- or -summarize-, but it
does support -proportion-, -mean-, and -ratio-.  Hassan may also use -mi xeq- to
execute a command on an individual imputation.

-- Wes