st: Multiple imputation is increasing the sample size

From   Hassan Chawdhury <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Multiple imputation is increasing the sample size
Date   Thu, 29 Jul 2010 17:58:56 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,
I am imputing missing values in a Statistics Canada survey data set with Stata 11. I am using the following command:
mi impute mvn v1...v10, add(5) rseed (332422)
The command succeded and showed me how many missing cases were imputed for each variable and the total sample size was shown same in the stata result window (as it was before). But a weird thing happened with the mi procedure. When I run any tabulate or summarize command after the imputation, I can see that it has added cases to my sample size. In fact, the sample size got more than double for all variables, even for those which I did not use for the mi procedure. Any idea, what I am doing wrong? Thanks a lot.
Hassan Chawdhury
Victoria, BC