st: Modifying the content of a macro

From   Thomas Speidel <>
Subject   st: Modifying the content of a macro
Date   Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:11:33 -0600

I am writing a loop to cycle through a number of models. For example,

. sysuse auto
(1978 Automobile Data)

. local main mpg price weight

. local adjust length gear_ratio turn

. foreach c of local main {
  2. local nolength: list adjust - "length"
  3. logistic foreign `c' `adjust' if "`c'" != "weight"
  4. logistic foreign `c' `nolength' if "`c'" == "weight"
  5. }

Which fails on the second model. How do I modify `adjust' so that the string "length" is removed from its content and applied to the second set of models? In a less automated fashion, I want:

. logistic foreign mpg length gear_ratio turn
. logistic foreign price length gear_ratio turn
. logistic foreign weight gear_ratio turn

Preferrably, in this order. Creating another macro without "length" is not ideal, because I am dealing with a much larger set of covariates.

Thomas Speidel