Re: st: summary statistics with mi multiple imputation

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: summary statistics with mi multiple imputation
Date   Tue, 20 Jul 2010 00:06:15 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 19/7/10, Alan Acock wrote:
> I still need some descriptive
> statistics on background/demographic variables to describe
> the sample.
> a. Should I report the demographic means/sd's for each
> variable using the original dataset and N for each
> variable?
> b. Should I report the grand mean treating the 20 datasets
> as one big dataset?
> c. What is the best practice? Is there a way to get
> confidence intervals that around the means that take the
> multiple imputation into account?

It can be informative to report both the means in your
original sample and the average of the means in each
imputed sample (the latter is the point estimate in multiple
imputated datasets). If you only want the means and
their standard errors / confidence intervals you can
use the -mean- command, which can easily be combined
with -mim-. The example below requires both -ice- and
-mim-, which can be downloaded by typing in Stata
-ssc install ice- and -ssc install mim-, respectively.

*----------------- begin example ------------------
sysuse nlsw88, clear
ice union grade tenure race south, m(5) clear
mean union grade tenure south if _mj == 0
mim: mean union grade tenure south
*------------------- end example ------------------
(For more on examples I sent to the Statalist see:
http://www.maartenbuis.nl/example_faq )

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis