AW: st: Dummy variables

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   AW: st: Dummy variables
Date   Tue, 13 Jul 2010 13:09:00 +0200

<>

Also note the FAQ re dummy creation at
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/dummy.html

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
[mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] Im Auftrag von Conor Hughes
Gesendet: Dienstag, 13. Juli 2010 13:03
An: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Betreff: Re: st: Dummy variables

<>
Hi Frank,
Maybe I misunderstood the question, but if you simply want dummies
that identify the hospitals, couldn't you just use -tab, gen()- ?  For
example:

* Start
sysuse lifeexp, clear
tab region, gen(rgn)
sum reg*
*End

This creates rgn1, rgn2, and rgn3, which are dummies for each region.
Just stick in whatever hospital ID you have, and you should be good to
go.

Cheers,
Conor

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 4:53 AM, Frank Peter <frankpeter@safe-mail.net>
wrote:

> Dear All
>
> I am trying to replicate how Capon 2005 created dummy variables for 60
hospitals for logistic regression.

> "A second model was fitted including all the variables selected by the
stepwise model and 60 dummy variables identifying single hospitals. The
dummy variables were coded in order to take the overall rate as a reference.
Adjusted ORs were computed for every hospital. All analyses were carried out
using STATA software version 8.0."

> I will be glad if someone can explain how create dummy variables that will
include all the 60 hospitals, so that I can calculate the adjusted
prevalence ratio for all.

> Thanks
>

> Reference
> Capon A, Di Lallo D, Perucci CA, Panepuccia L. Case-mix adjusted odds
ratios as an alternative way to compare hospital performances. Eur J
Epidemiol. 2005;20(6):497-500.