st: Dummy variables

From   "Frank Peter" <frankpeter@Safe-mail.net>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Dummy variables
Date   Tue, 13 Jul 2010 05:53:37 -0400

Dear All

I am trying to replicate how Capon 2005 created dummy variables for 60 hospitals for logistic regression.

"A second model was fitted including all the variables selected by the stepwise model and 60 dummy variables identifying single hospitals. The dummy variables were coded in order to take the overall rate as a reference. Adjusted ORs were computed for every hospital. All analyses were carried out using STATA software version 8.0."

I will be glad if someone can explain how create dummy variables that will include all the 60 hospitals, so that I can calculate the adjusted prevalence ratio for all.

Thanks

Reference
Capon A, Di Lallo D, Perucci CA, Panepuccia L. Case-mix adjusted odds ratios as an alternative way to compare hospital performances. Eur J Epidemiol. 2005;20(6):497-500.

Regards
Frank Peter