st: -sts gen [newvar] = h- : why do I get monotonous (increasing) hazards?

From   László Sándor <>
Subject   st: -sts gen [newvar] = h- : why do I get monotonous (increasing) hazards?
Date   Sun, 11 Jul 2010 15:32:28 +0200

I wanted to use -sts gen- to produce my own variant of the hazard
graphs that -sts [graph]- produces. I am puzzled by what I get. That
graph shows (very plausibly for my data) varying hazard, sometimes
rising, sometimes falling, for all the four groups I plot it
separately (using the option -by-). When I used the -sts gen [newvar]
= h- command, I get hazards monotonously increasing in "time" (_t
after stset).

What am I doing wrong?

I paste you the commands I use, but they are not functional w/o my
data, I know. In any case, it would very useful if you could help me
reproduce the -sts graph ..., hazard- graphs using the output of -sts
gen ...=h-. (FYI, my goal is to use rough step function from -graph
bar- instead of smooth kernel density estimate.)

Thank you!