RE: st: RE: Creating a new variable via another variable name based on a condition

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Creating a new variable via another variable name based on a condition
Date   Fri, 9 Jul 2010 17:06:06 +0100

A problem that remains is that Indu specified no rules for cases in
which both time and equity are tied among two or more people.

Such firms could be identified after my code by

by id : gen ties = hours[_N] == hours[_N-1] & equity[_N] == equity[_N-1]

l if ties

Eric Booth

Nevermind on the last part about Nick's code -- I missed his line
"mvencode *, mv(0) override".

On Jul 8, 2010, at 3:17 PM, Eric Booth wrote:

> I also reshaped to long but approached it a different (and longer way)
than Nick.

> ********!
> clear
> inp firms hrs_owner1 hrs_owner2 hrs_owner3 equity_owner1 equity_owner2
equity_owner3
> 1 3  2  0 50  25 25
> 2 2  3  6 25  50 25
> 3 3  8  . 75  25 .
> 4 2  .  2 80  . 20
> end
> **reshape**
> reshape long hrs_owner equity_owner, i(firms) j(ownerid)
> **find max**
> 	bys firms: egen maxhours = max(hrs_owner)
> **find ties**
> 	g main_owner = ownerid if maxhours==hrs_owner
> 	bys firms: egen maxequity = max(equity_owner) if !mi(main_owner)
> **replace main_owner with tied owner with most equity**
> 	bys firms: replace main_owner = . if maxequity != equity_owner
> 	bys firms (main_owner): replace main_owner = main_owner[1]
> 	drop max*
> ********!
>
> but I got a different answer than when I use Nick's solution
(translated into my varnames):

> bysort firms (hrs_ equity_) : gen main = ownerid[_N]
>
> If I've translated the varnames correctly, I think Nick's command can
assign main ownership to ids with missing data.  There might be a better
way to fix Nick's solution, but one way looks to be to recode the
missings to zero:

> ********
> recode hrs_ equity_ (.=0)
> bysort firms (hrs_ equity_) : gen main = ownerid[_N]
> recode hrs_ equity_ (0=.)
> ********

Nick Cox

>> (You should -update- to 8.2. It's free.)
>>
>> You should -reshape- your data to -long-. Then no loops are required.

>> You don't give variable names. I will assume
>>
>> Firm identifier: id
>> Hours worked by owners 1, 2, etc.: hours1, etc.
>> Equity owned by owners 1, 2, etc.: equity1, etc.
>>
>> The -reshape- is
>>
>> reshape long hours equity, i(id)
>>
>> Then
>>
>> rename _j owner
>> mvencode *, mv(0) override
>> bysort id (hours equity) : gen main = owner[_N]
>>
>> Repeat: no loops.

Indu Khurana

2