st: RE: RE: STATA equivalent SAS code

From   Jose Benuzillo <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: STATA equivalent SAS code
Date   Fri, 9 Jul 2010 09:53:54 -0600

Thanks for making me aware of this site. I program in SAS but my boss is more comfortable in STATA so this site will serve me well to quickly adapt my SAS code

From: [] On Behalf Of Dan Blanchette []
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2010 8:17 AM
Subject: st: RE: STATA equivalent SAS code

I hope you know about my webpage:
  "A SAS User's Guide to Stata"

Martin is right that Stata's -inlist()- is equivalent to SAS's in().
In Stata's -inlist()- you have to put the variable being tested inside the
parentheses which is not how SAS's in() works:

  if varx in (value1,value2,value3) then ...some SAS code ...;

would be:

  ..some Stata code...  if inlist(varx,value1,value2,value3)

There is not really a Stata equivalent to SAS's if-then-do programming style,
but I have an example Stata do-file page that shows how you can come pretty
close to doing that sort of programming in Stata:

Dan Blanchette
Research Associate
Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Duke University's Fuqua School of Business