st: Re: Storing output from a loop in only one variable

From   Dani Tilley <>
To   stata <>
Subject   st: Re: Storing output from a loop in only one variable
Date   Thu, 8 Jul 2010 09:16:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, this doesn't give me what I'm looking for.
With the correction you pointed below, I get an x variable that only has the
output from the first loop on ALL its entries. I'm rather looking for a variable
that has -a- entries (the output from each loop on each line) and -N-a- missing

Incidentally, could anyone tell me why I'm getting this error:

gen x=.
gen int t=2
replace x=123 in t
't' invalid obs no

what is a valid obs no apart from actual integers plugged in? If I can figure
out a way to generate a variable that would not trigger this error, I can then
replace var=var+i and solve the problem I have.