st: Storing output from a loop in only one variable

From   Dani Tilley <>
To   stata <>
Subject   st: Storing output from a loop in only one variable
Date   Thu, 8 Jul 2010 08:32:19 -0700 (PDT)

I'm trying to store certain output in a new variable while I loop through
different categories. At the end I want to average what I've stored and perhaps
do some other manipulations. Right now, my code looks like this:

foreach a in {range} {
gen x`a'={output} in 1

su x*, mean
di r(mean)
drop x*

So I create `a' variables that have the desired output as their 1st observations
and N-1 missing points. I then average across these variables and drop them.
While this gets the job done, I feel it's very clumsy. I'm looking to create a
single variable, x, that will hold all `a' outputs. Something like

scalar i=1
foreach a in {range} {
gen x={output} in i
i++ //or i=i+1