Re: st: Fw: Multiple One-Tailed Tests

From   Roger Newson <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Fw: Multiple One-Tailed Tests
Date   Thu, 8 Jul 2010 11:11:43 +0100

No, adding more regressors does not alter the number of comparisons, because the number of comparisons is still 2, so we still use 100(1-alpha/2)% confidence intervals, and a rectangular Cartesian product confidence interval.

However, if we wanted a joint conservative confidence region for the 3 parameters b1, b2 and b3, then we would need to calculate a 100(1-alpha/3) confidence interval for each of the 3 parameters. The Cartesian product of these confidence intervals will then be a 3-dimensional Bonferroni-corrected confidence interval for the parameter (b1,b2,b3).

The main problem here is that (for whatever reason) the -level()- parameter of -regress- cannot take values with more than 2 decimal places. For alpha=0.05, 100*(1-alpha/3) is (approximately) 98.333333. A possible answer is to use the -parmest- package, downloadable from SSC (for Stata 11 users) or from my website (for users of earlier Stata versions). You might then type, in the -auto- data,

regress mpg weight length price
parmest, level(`=100*(1-0.05/3)') list(, abbr(32))

and view 98.33333333333% confidence intervals for the parameters. The -parmest- package can also be used in this way to produce Sidak-corrected confidence intervals, which are slightly less conservative than Bonferroni-corrected confidence intervals.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil