Re: st: Fw: Multiple One-Tailed Tests

From   "Airey, David C" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Fw: Multiple One-Tailed Tests
Date   Wed, 7 Jul 2010 17:34:30 -0500

.

Because each coefficient is tested with the symmetric t distribution, we can make both of those alpha/2. And then their joint test, is what is wanted.

Thanks for clarifying that one, Roger and Maarten.

--- On Wed, 7/7/10, Bea Potter asked:
> > Given the following regression,
> >
> > y = b0 + b1 x1 + b2 x2 + u
> >
> > we want to test whether we can reject b1>0 and
> > b2<0.

--- On Wed, 7/7/10, Airey, David C answered:
> The joint test is the F statistic for the model, since b1
> and b2 are the only coefficients. So isn't it just alpha/2?

If I remember correctly the alpha/2 trick works because the
distribution of the test statistic (t distribution or normal
distribution) is symetric. This is not the case for the
F-distribution.

I had a look at this issue a while back, and it turned out
not to be an easy problem. I'd love to be proven wrong
though.

-- Maarten