Re: st: competing risk

From   Steve Samuels <>
Subject   Re: st: competing risk
Date   Wed, 7 Jul 2010 15:09:11 -0400

Welcome to Statalist!

See Chapter 9, especially Section 9.3, of Stephen Jenkins's wonderful
book "Survival Analysis" at

and his lesson 8 on setting up the analysis with Stata at

You don't really have discrete survival times, you have "interval
censored" or grouped times To quote Stephen (Lesson 8): "If one needs
to use a discrete time model because one has interval-censored data
(continuous survival times are available only in grouped form), then
modelling is rather complex, and one needs special programs to
estimate the models" There is an exception, I think: if you have no
(or almost no) loss-to-follow up within intervals, then you can use
the "multinomial logit" model that Stephen describes-just censor those
"lost" individuals at the start of the interval.

Questions about data with this structure (probably the same data set!)
come up from time to time here. I always wonder why these surveys did
not ask about dates of transitions prior to interview, even on a
subsample; that would greatly enhance the usefulness of the data.
Also, the questions always assume implicitly that nobody changed state
twice in an interval. (e.g. unemployed--> open-ended -> fixed term).

Good luck!

Steven Samuels
18 Cantine's Island
Saugerties NY 12477