Re: st: Fw: Multiple One-Tailed Tests

From   Roger Newson <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Fw: Multiple One-Tailed Tests
Date   Wed, 7 Jul 2010 17:18:24 +0100

I don't know why anybody would want to do a 1-tailed test, except if the distribution of the test statistic, under the null hypothesis, really IS one-tailed. However, you can calculate a conservative joint confidence region for b1 and b2 by typing

regress y x1 x2
regress, level(97.5)

The second -regress- command will produce Bonferroni-corrected 97.5% confidence intervals for b1 and b2, whose Cartesian product is a conservative rectangular confidence region for the vector parameter (b1,b2). If the 97.5% confidence interval for b1 is all below zero and the 97.5% confidence interval for b2 is all above zero, then our rectangular confidence interval has excluded all possibilities where b1>0 and b2<0.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil