Re: st: AW: Combining two financial reports in the same calendar year

From   Matthew Krauchunas <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: Combining two financial reports in the same calendar year
Date   Mon, 5 Jul 2010 12:17:04 -0400

Sorry for not doing a better job explaining my data.  California
assigns an id number ( oshpd_fac_no) to each PHYSICAL address in the
state.  I will use this number to xtset my data once I have all the
data cleaned up.  It is easy to see when a nursing home has changed
ownership because the facility names will be different from one period
to the next, but the id number (oshpd_fac_no) will stay the same.
Thus, the oshpd_fac_no stays with the physical address.  Take the
following example:

oshpd_fac_no	  facility_name
                                       begin_date	end_date
year	         days_in_rep_period
206010774	          EVERGREEN CASTRO VALLEY HEALTHCARE
         01jan2008	        30apr2008	        2008 	121
206010774          CASTRO VALLEY HEALTHCARE AND REHABILITATION
CENTER	01may2008	31dec2008	        2008	         245

The above is a nursing home which has changed ownership, but still
resides at the same location.  I do not want to combine the financial
report data for these observations because it is in essence two
distinct nursing homes due to the change in ownership.  However, I
have other cases where a nursing home, that has maintained the same
ownership, has reported multiple financial periods.  For example:

oshpd_fac_no	facility_name
begin_date	end_date	        year	              days_in_rep_period
206010757 	BERKELEY PINES CARE CENTER	          01jan2004	07jun2004
	2004	                159
206010757	        BERKELEY PINES CARE CENTER
08jun2004	31dec2004	        2004          	207

In this case, I need to combine these two financial periods
(observations) and make them a single observation.