RE: st: Non-normal alternative to MANOVA

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <Peter.Lachenbruch@oregonstate.edu>
Subject   RE: st: Non-normal alternative to MANOVA
Date   Fri, 2 Jul 2010 09:19:17 -0700

There is an old paper from the 1970s by Maronna (I think in the Annals of Statistics) that showed the breakdown for MANOVA was pretty poor, so I'd be cautious about assuming robustness.

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Kay Walker
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 7:31 AM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: st: Non-normal alternative to MANOVA

MANOVA is very robust, so I would do it anyway, explain the caveats on
any conclusions and present some nonparametric tests on each variable
with the ones you want to use as control variables. A signed rank test
might be OK. Or some Mann-Whitneys. I can't figure out how you could
incorporate all your variables into one nonparametric test.