st: Poll of polls

From   Richard Ohrvall <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Poll of polls
Date   Tue, 22 Jun 2010 23:58:57 +0200

Dear all,

I am sorry if this is a bit too unspecific, but I am currently looking
into what is usually called "poll of polls", i.e. techniques to take
estimates from different opinion polls and estimating time series. I
know, it is outside of established statistical theory, but I am
playing around with political opinion polls to look at different
methods to achieve time series. Some of the issues are a) how to
handle "house effects", i.e. that different pollsters systematically
diverge from others, b) how to smooth the data over time, e.g. some
sort of moving average. So, my questions are 1) if any of you have
seen anything done on this using Stata? 2) Do you have any
ideas/suggestions about the best way to tackle this (e.g. if -lowess-
is a path worth exploring)?

Once again, sorry if this is too vague, but if you have any ideas or
suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Richard