st: How to identify siblings

From   speciale speciale <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: How to identify siblings
Date   Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:03:55 +0200

Hello,

I have a dataset containing information on a population born in
1980-1990, and some of the persons in the dataset are siblings. I am
interested in doing some descriptive analyses, where I:

- Compare full brothers with an age difference of maximum five years

- Compare full sisters with an age difference…

- Compare half brothers with an age difference..

- Compare full sister with an age difference…

I only wish to compare siblings who are discordant on marital status
in order to find out if this has any impact on later health outcomes.

The dataset includes the following information:

Person ID

Gender

Mother ID

Father ID

Age/day of birth of the person

Marital status

Different health indicators

Etc..

So my questions are:

-How to identify who in the dataset are half siblings / full siblings?

-How is it possible to handle the fact that one person might have both
several half and full siblings - and make pairwise comparisons of each
of these pairs (but only if they are  of the same gender and have a
age-difference of maximum 5 years)?

If you know of any literature related to how to perform descriptive
analyses of this (later on I will do the survival analysis) – or if
you have a suggestion of how to do this, it would be very helpful.

I apologize if the question is basic - but I am a new user of Stata.

Thank you!

Grethe