Re: st: RE: interacting two covariates

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: interacting two covariates
Date   Tue, 15 Jun 2010 08:49:37 -0500

At 04:02 PM 6/14/2010, Nick Cox wrote:
. help factor variables

Ian Breunig

Is there a particular notation to interact two variables within an
estimation command or do I always have to generate a new variable
which multiplies the two variables that I am interacting.  I have
never came across this command notation if it exists so it would be
nice to know if there was a way to do this.  thanks.

The latest Stata Newsletter includes a nice discussion of factor variables. I'll just add that (1) you have to have Stata 11, and (2) a lot of user-written commands (which, alas, include mine) do not support factor variables, so you will have to use the old approach of generating new variables for them.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu