RE: st: RE: RE: Renaming multiple variables

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: Renaming multiple variables
Date   Mon, 14 Jun 2010 20:21:40 +0100

All members of the list on joining Statalist are asked to read the Statalist FAQ before posting.

Please therefore do read

7.1 Where to find Stata-released ado (STB/SJ) files

8.2 What is the correct way to write 'Stata'?

and note that the URL for the FAQ occurs at the bottom of every posting.

Jason Hecht

Thanks for the quick reply.  Forgive my ignorance (I'm just getting
familiar with STATA) but what is "SJ" and where do I go to get it?

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Nick Cox <> wrote:

> The help just says
> rename old_varname new_varname
> and that's it; no other syntax is allowed. -renvars- from SJ allows
> renvars v1-v4 \ stockid company country sector
> but you must install it first.

Martin Weiss

> You can shorten -rename- to -ren-, as its help indicates. Apart from
> that,
> if there is no pattern to the -rename-ing, then you have to issue the
> commands one after another. A loop would not do much good here...

Jason Hecht