st: RE: RE: Renaming multiple variables

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Renaming multiple variables
Date   Mon, 14 Jun 2010 20:11:06 +0100

The help just says

rename old_varname new_varname

and that's it; no other syntax is allowed. -renvars- from SJ allows

renvars v1-v4 \ stockid company country sector

but you must install it first.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Martin Weiss

You can shorten -rename- to -ren-, as its help indicates. Apart from
that,
if there is no pattern to the -rename-ing, then you have to issue the
commands one after another. A loop would not do much good here...

Jason Hecht

Is there an easy way to do multiple renaming of variables in one line
of code?  For example, for v1, v2, v3, and v4 I would like to rename:
 "stockid," "company," "country," and "sector."  If I type in:
"rename v1 stockid v2 company" I get an error message.