st: Renaming multiple variables

From   Jason Hecht <jhecht58@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Renaming multiple variables
Date   Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:59:19 -0400

Is there an easy way to do multiple renaming of variables in one line
of code?  For example, for v1, v2, v3, and v4 I would like to rename:
 "stockid," "company," "country," and "sector."  If I type in:
"rename v1 stockid v2 company" I get an error message.