st: RE: Problem with "insheet using" command

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Problem with "insheet using" command
Date   Fri, 11 Jun 2010 17:52:47 +0100

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Numeric variables input as
string
        2/02    Stata is reading in my variables as string, whereas
                they should be numeric. What should I do?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/allstring.html

Jason Hecht

I used the following command to import data from an Excel spreadsheet:

insheet using "c:\my documents\y98.csv", comma

However, when I use the describe command to check my summary
statistics I get "O" for the number of observations.  My guess is that
all my data is being read in as strings (the spreadsheet has columns
with numbers and and columns with letters).